tabs

Thursday, May 9, 2013

An update on cleaner eating

If you've followed along, then you already know that my roomies and I have been trying to cut back on eating processed foods and focus more on living an all around healthier lifestyle. We started this about a week after Easter and planned to be strict about eating solely 'real foods' for 3 weeks. Our three weeks were up on April 28th, and while I've felt slightly less obligation to adhere to the guidelines so strictly since our little challenge ended, it looks like this household is sticking with the healthier eating habits. Obviously, that means we're happy with the results we've seen and haven't been starving or too inconvenienced, so I'll share what we've been up to.

Honestly, I hate to even show food photography because the phone pics are just not that impressive. And the pictures on food blogs are way more pleasing to look at...but I want you to fully understand the good eats we've been enjoying over here, and I'll (hopefully) one day provide the links and recipes so that you, too, can enjoy them :)

portabella mushroom & cauliflower crust pizzas

Salmon over a spinach salad, fruit with steel cut oats, and roasted veggies

favorite snack. 


farm fresh eggs

whole wheat waffles with homemade berry and banana sauce, veggie and cheese omelet, and fresh squeezed orange juice

Ahi Tuna with sesame seeds and a cilantro, honey, and soy sauce marinade; served on homemade corn tortillas with guacamole, roasted veggies and a summer salad

full fridge


It definitely helps to have roommates who are joining you if you plan to change up the way you eat...and it's even more helpful if your mom is your roommate and is a great cook.

For the most part, we used Lisa Leake's rules from 100 Days of Real Food, but there were some things I knowingly cheated on, like chocolate chips, which I put in practically every "healthy" dessert I made because raisins just don't have the same effect. And I made a lot of healthy desserts. Also milk...we drank regular old skim milk and almond milk. These are obviously processed but no one here was wild about the idea of whipping up almond milk from scratch. Maybe some other time. The same goes for hummus. We didn't make our own, and there is citric acid, natural flavors and potassium sorbate in the Sabra hummus that we ate. Lisa says "If it’s not an ingredient you keep in your pantry or would cook with at home then it’s best to avoid it" and I dont have those handy. But I didn't have tahini or a ton of chick peas either so I just went with the store bought stuff. There were also a ton of special occasions over the course of our 3 weeks, including a bridal shower with a candy bar, a business school Prom with heavy hors d'oeuvres, two engagement parties full of fried goodies and sweet treats, and various other opportunities filled with tempting food selections...I was definitely more mindful of what I was eating, but didn't always adhere to the rules.

chocolate quinoa cookies and no bake energy bites have been filling in for candy

Rob's b-school prom. I'm getting good at bathroom selfies. I don't think I should be proud of that.

The candy bar at Lindsey's bridal shower, which I'll be writing more about shortly :)
...

We all had different goals that we were trying to accomplish over the three weeks. These were mine:


  1. Get some muscle tone and definition
  2. Stretch to increase flexibility
  3. Improve my complexion
  4. Do 2 pull ups from the ground

Obviously, achieving these goals would require more than just eating fresh foods. I also had intentions of changing up my workout routine, but this didn't really happen. I still primarily just ran, BUT, Sally and I were much more diligent about making sure that we worked one in most nights (Plus our runs all involved pushing this beast which we've determined adds an extra 90 pounds or so with her little chunkers on board), and we occasionally added an extra something in there...  
Here's my favorite: Brazilian Butt Workout <-- we have only been doing 2 rounds, but we're going for 3 this week. The first time we did it we could hardly walk for 3 days.
Another good one: Feisty Fifty
I've been doing a lot of push ups as well. At work I have some kids with goals to be able to do pushups, and lots of my little patients could benefit from upper extremity strengthening or just the proprioceptive input they get from doing push ups, so I've been putting a few of them through boot camp so that I can get a little workout in. No shame.
I flexed for Rob and let him judge my progress...Based on his reaction we'll just say I'm still working towards number 1. 
Leighton and Lewis have been troopers


one of the more ambitious runs I've done lately - without the BOB

I also did a lot more stretching before and after running. It's all relative, so considering I never stretched before, it didn't take much to be doing a lot more. I've already noticed that it's a bit easier to touch my toes, so that's some progress for number 2!

Number 3 is a tricky one to judge because I have noticed an improvement in my complexion, but I can't contribute that totally to diet. Part of the reason I wanted to try this whole clean eating thing though was because my skin was acting crazy. I've never really had a problem with acne but a few months ago my forehead erupted into a mess of unsightly bumps. So when I read this post about diet and how it can really help clear up skin, I was all for it. I didn't cut out gluten like she did (or lots of other things that she cut out), but I feel like eating less sugar and chocolate hasn't hurt + I started using Laura Mercier makeup which is apparently better for your skin than random drug store brands. Who knew?!

I've got the Whitewater Center in Charlotte on the agenda a couple of times this summer. I've never been before, but recently found out that you have to be able to do a pull-up to go on one of the zip lines. I don't want to be left out, so I had to get to work on this. I still struggle to do one from hanging with my arms all the way extended, but I've got it from standing with them bent just a tiny bit. Rob and I decided that I have really long scraggly arms so that makes it challenging ;) 

I've never really set personal goals like these, so it's kind of fun to try to work towards something. And it makes me focus on things I otherwise wouldn't, like stretching! 



post signature

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment