tabs

Friday, March 15, 2013

Falling Hurts.


In true "no excuses" form, KT and I headed out for a jog about 11:30 a few nights ago.  Babies sleeping, school work finished, (relatively) healthy dinner eaten- I'll admit, I was feeling pretty accomplished.  Then it hit me.  More accurately, I hit it.  The pavement.  Zebra tights and all with no amount of grace. I haven't had a good old fashioned splat on the pavement in a while, but let me just say- it hurts.  I'm not sure whether my pride or my knees/elbows/stomach/palms, etc were more damaged.  In that moment, I was flooded with moments of falls past.  From slipping on Jacqueline's deck while trying to do a cheerleading kick in middle school to scampering up after tripping on the bricks as a freshman at UNC (It's practically a rite of passage), I was reminded of just how vulnerable a fall can make you feel.

As an adult, those physical falls happen less frequently (unless you have a crazy sister who pushes you to work out in the dark, cold night).  It's the emotional falls that we must be prepared to face- -those that sneak up on you when you're running along in the dark.  They come in the form of a disappointment at work, a fight with a lover, an unfortunate tragedy, financial duress, or the simple demands of the grown up world.  My advice: Try not to take yourself too seriously.  Instead, be serious about your love for others.  You will be surprised how many people will be in your corner when you do fall.  And in time, you will.  So strap on your kneepads, it's part of being alive!


post signature

Pin It!

1 comment:

  1. Love this Sal!!! Couldn't have said it better myself! :)

    ReplyDelete