tabs

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

When Classic Baby Meets Styles We Love

One of my favorite things about having a toddler is being able to dress her like a toddler.  In a time when third grade students can tell me about things that I didn't learn until I met Keisha and her squiggle pen, my goal is to cherish an unavoidably short era of innocence.  Maintaining a proper balance between 'let them be kids' and 'tween scream' is a top priority when I make wardrobe decisions.  Specifically, anything with cartoon characters or over used sayings can stay on whatever bargain rack I'm probably shopping.  Case in point: It's called terrible twos for a reason.  While 'princess of the world' may seem like the perfect descriptor for your toddler, my guess is that most fellow shoppers or restaurant patrons would disagree.  Since the verdict is still out, let's keep it off the clothing.  

 Luckily, there are plenty of ways to find baby fashion scores without breaking the bank.  You don't have to frequent Matilda Jane Trunk shows or wear out the pages of your mini Boden catalog to have the trendiest kid on the block.  Here are some of my favorite ways to mix it up with shorty style:

1.  Although I am always partial to a baby in a freshly pressed outfit complete with a peter pan collar and smocking, those outfits are not the most practical for play.  Instead, combine a few classic pieces with every day essentials.  My suggestion is to take the consignment option for statement pieces and shop retail for basic budget items.
2.  Shop consignment.  Find the best resale stores in your area and be selective.  More than likely you will find at least one brand name piece with little wear that can become the statement piece in your child's next photo op.  In a town like Lenoir, we are limited on great consignment options. You would be amazed by the treasures that I (ahem, my mom) have unearthed at Goodwill!
3.  As much as I love consignment clothing, shop for every day essentials at a regular retail store.  Leggings, onesies, and base layers suffer the most wear and tear.  Choosing the second hand option for these items often results in a washed out look.  Instead, hit up places like Old Navy and Baby Gap during their seasonal sales.  My favorites are the Old Navy jeggings for girls. You will be better off spending the extra dollar to keep an outfit fresh.
4.  For siblings, choose a theme and let them dress the part.  The matching outfits that we all know and love are not the only way to show a sibling bond.  Lei's barn yard tunic is completed by Lew's cow applique onesie.
5.  Knee socks.  You can never go wrong with knee socks on baby/toddler legs.  Pair them with a short dress and bloomers for girls or a shortall for boys and it's a hit every time!
6. Hair Bows.  Need I say more?

Boots- Baby Gap; Knee Socks- Gymboree
Jeggings- Old Navy; Tunic- Molly&Millie;
Hair Bow- Once Upon a Child

Onesie with felt cow applique made by Katie.  Isn't she creative?









What are your favorite toddler looks?


post signature

Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment